This is our first author interview for children’s books!
We actually loved the way Nathan brought magic to the story of Harry The Happy Mouse!
N.G.K. is the bestselling children’s picture book author whose first book ‘Harry The Happy Mouse’ has featured on the Amazon bestseller lists in Paperback and eBook. N.G.K. has worked with Janelle Dimmett to produce what has been called “a future classic”. Used in schools across the world, Harry The Happy Mouse promotes ‘Pay It Forward’, teaching children about kindness.
The Latest Book!
The new Harry The Happy Mouse book is called Harry’s Spooky Surprise and is free on Kindle and iBooks!
Harry’s Spooky Surprise is set around Halloween. Harry needs to visit his friends at night time to collect items from them for a very special reason! Harry learns that there is no reason to be afraid of the dark, and the importance of saying ‘Thank You!’.
Harry The Happy Mouse (Book 1 in the series) is an Amazon #1 bestseller, teaching children the value of kindness. Harry The Christmas Mouse (Book 2), which was a #1 bestseller in both the UK and USA, teaches children the value of team work.
How long did it take to write the first book of Harry The Happy Mouse?
I had the first book swimming around my head for quite a while, so when I actually sat down to write the book I actually finished it in just over a day! I then made small changes for about another month. The illustrations then took about six months to complete.
What inspired you to start writing a children’s book?
I’ve always been interested in writing, and love children’s picture books. I now have children of my own and thought it would be nice to write a book for them.
I also give as much content away for free, as I think it’s important that children have success to books. All three books are free on Kindle and iBooks, and there is lots of other stuff free on our webpage: www.harrythehappymouse.com/free
How is the journey of a writer?
I usually start with the basic outline of a story, then start to fill in the detail. I always explain it as a track I’m walking along, and the books I’m currently working on are signposts along that track. The ones that are closest, I can see all of the detail, all of the imaginary, know everything about that one.
I’ll then have a signpost that is in the medium distance, I might know what it’s called and some of the basic story ideas. Then there are distant signposts, which I will not get to until I’ve walked past the closest ones. It helps me plan what I’m thinking about.
What is your favorite motivational phrase?
“No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.” -Aesop
Who is your favorite writer or idol?
I have to be honest, I’m very late to discover the Harry Potter books! They are simply amazing.
What is your favorite movie?
I’m quite a big Star Wars fan, I’ve liked it since I was very young.
Something that you love other than reading and writing?
I’ve always loved space, and the discovery of our universe. I’m actually working on a space book right now. It’s going to be a children’s picture book about space.
Did you expect so many of positive reviews on your books?
I couldn’t ever imagine the response for Harry The Happy Mouse, and the fact that the book has gone to number one in the UK, USA and Australia. Amazing! I love the reviews, it’s so wonderful to hear, and I still find it hard to believe that my book is in so many households around the world.
You have another book coming up soon. Something you want our readers to know about it?
The new book is the third book in the Harry The Happy Mouse series, and is set around Halloween. As with the other books, there’s hopefully a great moral to the story.
Something you would say to aspiring writers who are just at the beginning?
Make sure you are happy with everything you produce, stick to your vision, and concentrate on getting your work out there. You could write the greatest book ever written, but you still need people to read it.
We gave the book 5-stars!
“Love the book – sweet, funny and rhyming poems!”
– The Elysian Geek
Your kids won’t be disappointed at all 🙂
Where you can keep in touch with Harry The Happy Mouse?
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ngkmedia/
Link to Amazon/Goodreads: www.harrythehappymouse.com/buy
Hey my beautiful people! 🙂
Today, I bring you Vanessa Morgan! And, wait for it.. There’s a Giveaway!!
About Vanessa Morgan
Vanessa Morgan is an author, screenwriter, and blogger. Three of her stories (The Strangers Outside, A Good Man, and Next to Her) have become movies. When she’s not working on her latest book, you can find her reading, watching horror movies, digging through flea markets, or photographing felines for her blog, Traveling Cats.
My two latest books couldn’t be more different from each other. The first is called “Avalon.” It’s the true story of my Turkish Van cat who made a name for himself by becoming a movie star. But he also differentiated himself because of his neurotic tendencies – he was so jealous he concocted special techniques to get my boyfriend out of the house, he vomited purposefully on my guinea pig, and managed to speak a few words of French (I swear this is true). But what made his life truly special was the out-of-the-ordinary bond we shared together.
The latest one, “When Animals Attack,” is a horror movie reference guide comprised of 70 essays on horror movies about killer animals. Each essay is written by a different writer. Among those writers are film historians, filmmakers, actors, bloggers, horror fiction authors, and film festival programmers. I edited the book and wrote the introduction and the essay on Wild Beasts. It’s the ultimate guide for everyone who loves creature features.
- How long did it take to write “Avalon” and “When Animals Attack”? The first rough draft of “Avalon” took about two months, but I needed about a year to rewrite and perfect the book. “When Animals Attack” also took about a year. I initially gave my writers three months to write the essay, but 70% of the writers couldn’t meet that deadline. Several of them fell off, so I had to look for other writers. Half of the new batch was equally bad with deadlines, and so on.
- What inspired you to start writing? The desire to write started when I saw Faulkner’s “As I Lay Dying” on stage when I lived in London. I instantly wanted to create something equally beautiful. I started writing soon after and haven’t looked back since. I think that what I really want to accomplish is to make people feel something through my writing, to entertain them and to make them discover something about themselves.
- How is the journey of a screenwriter? It’s a weird one. I started my career by wanting to be a screenwriter. I tried for several years but my efforts never paid off. Then I started writing books and suddenly producers were coming to me to ask if they could turn them into films. I never tried to sell the rights; it just happened.
- Three of your stories (The Strangers Outside, A Good Man, and Next to Her) have become movies. How was that experience in turning your books to movies? Was that unexpected or planned? “The Strangers Outside” was someone’s first movie and the result is not something I’m proud of. However, this film started my cat’s movie career and I had great fun on set. “A Good Man” was technically well done but it included only a chunk of my original screenplay and didn’t reflect the story the way I intended it. I’m most happy with “Next to Her,” because the director, cast and crew managed to not only portray the story truthfully, but to make it much better than it was to start with.
- Where can we watch your movies? I’d rather you don’t watch “The Strangers Outside” and “A Good Man” because they’re not representative of my work, but you can watch “Next to Her” for free if you subscribe to my newsletter.
- What is your favorite motivational phrase?
“Become your dream”
- Who is your favorite writer or idol?
I adore Carol Drinkwater’s writing style. I used to love John Saul’s thrillers when I was a teenager, and I recently reread one of his books and it really struck me how similar my writing style is to his.
- What is your favorite movie? I’m absolutely crazy about a creepy seventies movie called “Let’s Scare Jessica to Death.”
- Something that you love other than reading and writing? Going to film festivals, eating out, obsessing over my cat.
- Did you expect so many of positive reviews on your books? I always try to do the best I can, so I always hope for positive reviews but I don’t expect them. “Avalon’ is the book that was best received so far and the only one where the reviews really blew me away. I kind of expected the story to annoy people, because I wrote it to honor my cat and didn’t think my life with him was that interesting. I also expected people to hate it because I was 100% honest about my failures and insecurities and how they influenced the obsessive bond I had with my cat. But somehow, the story touched people and many recognized themselves in it.
- Something you would say to aspiring writers who are just at the beginning? Don’t worry if your writing is awful in the beginning. I promise you it will get better. And if you ever doubt that you’ll never be able to finish a book without someone else’s help, you’re wrong. If you persist, you’ll always find a solution.
Where you can keep in touch with Vanessa?
- Website: http://www.celluloiddiaries.com and http://www.traveling-cats.com
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Vanessa-Morgan-50159391888/
- Twitter http://twitter.com/eeriestories
- Link to Amazon/Goodreads https://www.amazon.com/Vanessa-Morgan/e/B0092GUO2M
Now, for the Giveaway!
Vanessa is giving away 2 Kindle books ; Avalon & When Animals Attack.
Be sure to enter the rafflecopter link below and show her some love :’)
Deadline is 18th March 2017!
The winner will be announced on the following day!
I have some amazing announcements for my blog!
And, the fact that I love to celebrate & be grateful for the small things!
Yes, my blog is growing & I feel so happy about it!
Okay..First thing, IOS 10 is amazing! I’m sorry guys, I know a lot of people are hating it, but I just love it…And, the imessage features just never fail to amaze me.
And, Oliver Queen agrees with me, so 😛
Okay..Let’s be serious about my blog!
I am going to be featured on My Trending Stories!
My Trending Stories is a new website who prides itself on one specific value: giving back the power to the writers through freedom of speech and expression.
My Trending Stories seeks to inform readers about the latest news and events occurring globally and aims to be one of the biggest blogging websites on the world wide web. Their goal is to provide a platform to our writers to reach a broad audience as well as networking opportunities and establishing connections with other powerhouses in the industry.
This is huge for me that people are recognizing my writing skills and that my blog will be presented over a broader range of audience 🙂
We strongly believe that your writing aligns with our core value, and would love to have your content displayed so that it can reach an even broader audience.
You can follow me on My Trending stories too!
- I got 100 likes on the blog! Yay!
isn’t that awesome? 😀
Okay- The Big thing now!
Iheartmylife is moving to the next level. I’m going to host Author interviews on my blog!
And, for my first interview – I’m going to have Amazon Kindle Best Selling Author in Love & Romance! It’s a surprise, so stay tuned if you are a Book Lover!
I will be also be participating in lots of Book Tours 🙂
So, if you’re an author – I would love to interview you!
Next – If you have been through my blog recently, you will see that I have implemented something new – The Featured Guest!
I am collaborating with people so that they can share their story, journey to you guys; my audience!
So, if you want to be a Featured Guest on my blog, please reach out to me!
You know where to find me – Under the Collaboration Tab!
I am very much excited, last year my blog wasn’t even moving, and now it is!
This is like a milestone to me 🙂
I am so very grateful and I love you guys!
Thank you so much for subscribing, for showing me your love <3
I wish you all Happiness!